Why is it necessary to track someone with dementia? Before answering that, you should read the story of one 85-year old who lost a friend. The colleague had developed dementia and wandered off. He was found after three days in some woods not far from his home. Apparently he had forgotten his way home and wandered through the woods for three day. When he was found, he was barely alive and passed on when being taken to hospital.
Looking at the above situation, you can understand why people want to have a personal alarm for the elderly on anyone they love. Imagining that the person mentioned above was very near his home, but just could not find his way home is quite sad.
What elderly dementia tracker products are available and why they are necessary?
The elderly tracker products that are available include:
- Pendulum that can be hang from the neck
- Watch with a security clap so it cannot be removed
- Normal watches
- Beepers that can be hang on the belt.
- The list goes on and on.
The reason behind this is the fact that the elderly suffering from dementia will at one time or the other get lost and be unable to find their way home. This is not always the case, but the probability is high. These are people who are used to their independence and sometimes, when they have to be followed around, they get very upset and this affects them adversely. A tracker for the elderly is the best way of keeping tabs on granddad without making him feel like a child.
Features of tracking watches
Unlike other devices such as pendulum, tracking watches have made it possible to bring interactivity into the tracking business. Here are some of the features which make them stand out in the industry:
- They allow two-way communication – one can call or receive a call from the wearer, which helpsin reassuring both that all will be well.
- They allow for SOS calls – one can now send a message to SOS services and also send a message to approved number through the push of a button.
- Silent monitoring – if an elderly person falls and is unconscious, simply make a call and the watch will answer silently allowing you to tell what environment he or she is in.
- GPS transmission – they are so accurate GPS data, that you can locate the wearer to within 3 metres outdoors.
To wrap it up
Getting a personal alarm for the elderly is prudent. You do not need to be stressed whenever granddad decides to go play in the park with some of his friends. You simply get him to wear the watch and he can go happily away for a fun time, and leave you at peace knowing you have him in your “sight”. The technology is practical, trendy and easy to set up.