Effective Ways To Secure Your Home And Keep Your Family Safe From Intruders
It is essential, in this day and age, to do all you can to make your home prowler-proof, not only to stop them from stealing your belongings, but also for the safety of you and your family. Following are some simple yet effective ways to secure your home and keep your family safe from intruders.
- Make sure that your home looks occupied at all times, by leaving a pair of shoes outside your front door, and leaving lights and the television on when you go out
- Trim bushes and trees surrounding the outside of your house to eliminate hiding spaces for would-be burglars
- Get a dog. According to the police, having a dog, no matter what size or breed, is a huge deterrent for intruders
- Know your neighbours. Good neighbours will take note of any unusual activities at your home, and can collect your post and put out your bin when you’re away from home
- Keep all outside doors locked, even when you’re at home
- Make sure that all windows and doors are locked before you leave your home or go to bed.
- Don’t leave spare keys under your mat or in other obvious hiding places outside your house. If possible, leave them with a neighbour instead
This is one of the most effective ways to secure your home and keep your family safe, so make sure that all entry points to your home, pathways, and driveways are well lit at night, and install motion sensors outside your house
Use a variety of lights with timers indoors, and stagger the times they switch on and off, so that your house appears occupied all the time. These lights are great for when you are out working late, or if you’re away on holiday.
Windows and doors
These are the most common ways for intruders to gain entry to your home, so make sure to:
- Have only solid core doors at all entrances
- Place a metal or wooden bar along the bottom track of all windows and sliding doors to prevent them from being forced open
- Fit deadlocks to external doors
- Make sure to have your keys with you every time you leave home
- If you can’t see your front porch from inside the house, install a peephole in your front door
- Install security screens to all external doors
- If your front door has a glass inset, make sure to reinforce them with security window sheeting to stop intruders from shattering the glass to open the door
- Windows can be reinforced with security sheeting, security screens, or roller shutters
Other than all the above, installing an alarm system and a motion-sensor video camera, are also exceptionally effective ways to secure your home and keep your family safe from intruders.